A Rare Talent

Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Reggie Miller, Kevin Durant, and Steph Curry have one thing in common, they belong the heralded 40/50/90 club.

Elijah Bryant, a guard at Brigham Young University, has an opportunity to do something incredibly rare. He has a chance to become a member of the 40/50/90 club this season.

To get into the 40/50/90 club one must shoot 40 percent from three-point range, 50 percent from the field overall, and 90 percent from the free throw line. This is almost an impossible feat to accomplish in the game of basketball.

To this point in the season Bryant is shooting 43 percent from three-point, 50 percent from the field, and 88 percent from the free throw line. Doing this has increased the problem he creates to opponents’ defenses.

Last season, Bryant averaged 11.7 points a game while only shooting a total of 42 percent from the field. This season He is averaging 17.7 points a game while shooting 50 percent from the field.

The jump in productivity from last season to the present has been do to how he has shot the ball from the three-point line. Last season, he shot an abysmal 27 percent from the three. This allowed defenders to sag off him and prevent him from driving to the basket.

However, this year has been a completely different story. Because of his deadly aim from the three-point line, defenders must guard him tightly, which enables him to drive past them to the basket.

Because of this ability to make it to the basket, Bryant gets fouled more frequently. Last year, He shot a free-throw a total of 89 times. Already this season, he has shot it 124 times. Making opponents pay by making 88 percent of those shots.

These numbers are providing an insight on how special Elijah Bryant is for BYU. Now it is our job to sit back and relax, and watch history unfold.

Categories Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close